Re: Old world mac boot floppies

On Nov 10, 2004, at 5:25 PM, Sven Luther wrote:

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:35:04PM -0700, Wade Berrier wrote:

I did have one idea:  if you can boot a coff image from an hfs
partition, couldn't you have an hfs /boot partition on the harddrive and boot directly from open firmware? If I understand this correctly, quik
wouldn't be needed.

I think you can only netboot those, since the disk drivers are not available
in OF or something, not sure though.

Please see my (very) recent posting to the debian-boot list with subject '"free" miboot on OldWorld Mac'

What I say in that posting applies only to OldWorld Macs. On NewWorld Macs, Apple requires all add-in cards that want to support booting to do so by having a hunk of ROM on the card that extends the Apple Open Firmware with commands for booting from that card.

Enjoy!

Rick