Re: Old world mac boot floppies

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 01:45:35AM -0700, Wade Berrier wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback I've gotten from y'all.
>
> Here's a quick log about my situation:
>
> First, started out as I installed woody from the boot-floppy-hfs.img,
> install went ok.  On reboot, I get claim failed.
>
> I've tried all the settings from the quik quirks page without any
> success. (http://www.penguinppc.org/bootloaders/quik/quirks.php)
>
> I can boot a 2.4 coff kernel (pulled from kernel-image packages from the
> debian main repositories)... but the kernel doesn't recognize my
> harddrive partitions (i/o error, unable to read partiton on hda).

You have to use the 2.6 coff image with the builtin initrd. I gave you the
path to it, didn't i ?

> I tried a 2.2 .coff from unstable and the last thing it says on the
> screen after boot is initializing valkyrie.   I tried some video=
> settings with no luck.
>
> I tried the miboot boot images from debian installer
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/miboot/ , and this also didn't
> work.

Please use the daily builds, these are just older stuff.

> A penguin came up, but it ended up with a red X through the penguin.

Ok.

> Maybe I will end up having to compile my own 2.6 .coff kernel, and tweak
> it until it works?

Yes, and now. Please notice that you can take the normal 2.6 kernel, and use
mkvmlinuz -a coff to generate the coff image, but since it will not have any
initrd, this will not necessarily work.

Stay with the daily builds, instead of going to do some exotic and unssuported
stuff. If there is a problem with the daily builds, let's fix it. Or the next
guy along the line will have exactly the same problems.

Friendly,

Sven Luther