Re: I'm interested in helping with the installer "help text"

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2004-01-29 22:26:42 -0500]:
> In almost all cases, d-i should just make the safe and correct default
> _be_ the default, instead of resorting to documenting it in the
> description. Maybe there are one or two exceptions.

  I think that is the case (that the safe answer already is the
default); nevertheless it's been my experience that a lot of the newbies
that I've walked through new installs with don't know/understand that.
  One idea I had that may be a little out of control but could be kinda
neat, is for every screen with a question on it to have an option where
the user can select "I don't want to answer this question" and get the
safe default.

> I think we lean toward the latter, but I'm really not sure.

  OK...whatever you guys want to do is fine with me.  Personally I like
to keep it "professional" whenever possible, but sometimes professional
language gets in the way of conveying the knowledge with some of the
more esoteric concepts.  Try explaining shadow passwording to a newbie
using only "professional" language... :)

  By the way; is there an "automatic partitioning" option in the new
installer?  The two biggest stumbling blocks the people I help with
installs seem to have are partitioning and configuring the MTA.  Has it
been considered to have the option of automatic partitioning and/or
installing a really simple "just get the mail off my system" MTA like
ssmtp that doesn't need any real configuration besides "What is your
SMTP server, ask your ISP?"  Not saying exim isn't a great piece of
software, just that it may be overkill for most users who just need
local delivery between system accounts, and offloading outbound mail to
a smarthost...

--
  John  ! Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism
 Buttery! because it is a merger of state and corporate power.