apt configuration issues

I was testing debian-installer beta2 i386, the 100MB CD image version from:

http://people.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/beta2/sarge-i386-netinst.iso

I noticed some strange behavior during apt configuration. I would select 'http' and then 'ftp.us.debian.org'. The screen goes black, it looked like 'apt-get update' was successful, and then comes back to the apt config screen. I'm slightly confused at this point, was there an error? are we done? What do I do next? I did this over and over.

I went to the next virtual console and found many duplicate entries in /etc/apt/sources.list. I removed the duplicate entries and ran 'apt-get update' everything looks fine.

Finally I select 'http' and 'mirrors.kernel.org' and it goes to the next screen asking me if I want to add another apt source.

I'm not sure what the problem here is. I couldn't find any issue with the ftp.us.debian.org mirror and there wasn't any feedback to me saying there was any problem.

Also I wasn't provided with an option to select non-US, contrib, or non-free.

-allen