Re: How I want languagechooser to behave

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:33:57PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Denis Barbier]
> > Maybe I missed the purpose of languagechooser?  Is it supposed to
> > select installation language, or locales when the system is up?  IMO
> > it should be the former, then only languages which provide
> > translated debconf templates for debian-installer should be listed.
>
> The purpose of languagechooser is to ask the person doing the
> installation about his preferred language.  This information can be
> used to choose which language to use during installation and set this
> language as the default language after the installation.

Right, but locales and languages are 2 different things.
All translations in debian-installer use UTF-8 encodings, whereas people
might want to use a locale with their legacy encoding.  Or do you want
to only propose UTF-8 locales by default?

I also wonder what happens with the locales package at installation
time, is it installed and configured?

Denis