Re: How I want languagechooser to behave

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 11:51:01PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Denis Barbier]
> > I disagree, there is no reason to propose languages which have no
> > translated templates.
>
> Actually, I use this information to also set the default language in
> KDE and GNOME, as well as the default dictionary in ispell.
[...]

Maybe I missed the purpose of languagechooser?  Is it supposed to
select installation language, or locales when the system is up?
IMO it should be the former, then only languages which provide
translated debconf templates for debian-installer should be listed.

> > Does this mean that LANGUAGE is fully determined by this locale, or
> > can it be edited?
>
> I want it to be fully determined by the locale, and do not see the
> need to edit it manually.  Do you think the first time users need to
> edit this list of fallback translations?

Sure, if I prefer reading German than English, I would like to set
LANGUAGE=fr:de

Being able to pass LANG and/or LANGUAGE variables on boot prompt would
also be nice.

Denis