Re: How I want languagechooser to behave

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 08:01:05PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[...]
> This package should behava as follows:
>
>   0. extract available languages from list of available locales
>      (mapping language code -> language name)

I disagree, there is no reason to propose languages which have no
translated templates.

>   1. present list of language names, and ask the user to pick one.
>
>   2. if the language is available in several regions (maps to several
>      locales), ask which region / language variant to use.  (allow
>      user to [back] off to the language list.

Why don't merge 1 and 2 into a single list?

>   3. pass the locale information on to the parts that needs it.
>
> Based on this information a locale is selected.  This locale maps to one
> language, one region, a priority list of fallback languages,

Does this mean that LANGUAGE is fully determined by this locale, or can
it be edited?

> and a default keyboard layout.

Shouldn't keyboard layout be handled by kbd-chooser?

> The language code is passed into cdebconf.  The locale and priority
> list of languages is passed to base-config/termwrap as LANG_INST and
> LANGUAGE_INST in /target/root/dbootstrap_settings.  The

Ok.

> For each supported locale, the following information must be
> available:
>
>   - language code (part of locale)
>   - country code (part of locale)
>   - priority list of fallback languages to use as translations
>   - default keymap to use

Denis