Re: [GSoC] blends-gsoc documentation

Hi Emmanouil,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 08:42:48PM +0300, Emmanouil Kiagias wrote:
> Yes.  Become a member of debian-multimedia team. ;-)

:-)

> > I'm afraid I will not manage to carefully test them all before my VAC
> > starts at Friday.  I'll discuss with Sukhbir what steps would be
> > required to formalise finish the GSoC mentor part (because I might be
> > offline(ish) for the next three weeks).
> >

> OK no problem :-),  I will also try to finalize everything by tomorrow
> Wednesday to have all things ready.
>
> Do you have anything else to propose that has to be done before the end of
> the GSoC program?

Well, I'm a bit concerned about

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2013/09/msg00001.html

The thing is that if we manage to get new teams involved it might
increase the acceptance if the way from editing a tasks file to the
creation of the metapackage is "short" in terms of not beeing forced to
wait for one day until UDD is updated.  It could be discussed with DSA
on IRC where they are more responsive than on mailing lists like
debian-qa.

It also could speed up things if we could

  a) make the UDD importer capable to import a single Blend (which could
     speed up things drastically for one Blend that just changed its
     tasks files
     consequently we should create separate log files per Blend which
     would make more sense anyway.
  b) use some "cache" for the tasks files of the Blends like storing some
     md5sum of recently imported tasks files which do not need to be
     imported twice
  c) try to make the insertion procedure itself more efficient by for
     instance:
      - check, whether we could speed up the check for a package that
        just exists in UDD
      - inject all packages in one rush

This should give some ideas what could be done as a bonus to the GSoC
task.