Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On 2018, ഡിസംബർ 31 1:30:19 PM IST, Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Dec 2018, Pirate Praveen wrote:
>
>> It means extra effort/investment and they are not convinced about the
>> value it brings to them. If a lot of customers request such a
>version,
>
>This is why “open core” is a lie. (I’ve seen gitlab feature requests,
>even those that came with a patch, ignored by them because they had a
>matching feature in their paid version and didn’t want it in the
>“community” version.) I can only urge people to not rely on anything
>developed under such an “open core” model.
>
>But that is going into too political a direction.

But in this particular instance, it is only a lack of interest to backport security fixes (well, we tried it over stretch release period but it turned out to be too complex and I lack expertise in ruby). If there are people interested to backport security fixes over stable release period, we could do it still. While the concern about "open core" is real, this is not the consequence of it being an "open core" project.