Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:50:15AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> On 12/18/18 7:29 PM, Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> >  If you don't come up with arguments of why to change it, yes, there is
> > a lack of pushing. :)
>
> gitlab has a popcon score of 95 and there are people who prefer a native
> debian package over the omnibus package provided by upstream. There is
> at least one person willing to take the effort and gitlab package is in
> very good shape (no rc bugs, no security issues, latest upstream version
> in unstable and personal stretch-backports repo of its maintainer). No
> one sane would recommend using unstable in a production setup.

To be frank,

The reason for that is that no one sane would recommend running software
which changes at high frequency.

I think the core of your problem is not that "gitlab is complex", as you
sometimes claim on various Debian mailinglist, but more that "gitlab
changes far too quickly for Debian".

There is a monthly release cycle for gitlab; and while gitlab does
support older releases for a while, this support cycle is in no way long
enough for an entire Debian cycle. As a result, you would end up having
to update gitlab every month or so, which does not align well with
Debian's release cycle.

If instead gitlab were to have a "long term support" release, that would
solve a lot of issues.

Is that something you could talk to upstream about?

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard