Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On 12/17/18 3:06 PM, Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
>  I think you misunderstand the purpose of backports.  It is to offer
> newer features from an upcoming release onto a current stable release.

As I have already shared earlier, I'm trying to find a way to keep
gitlab as an official package in debian. It does require changing the
rules or finding a new place for gitlab that does not affect any
existing place. I'm open to all suggestions.

> Given that gitlab is to get removed from testing it won't be in an
> upcoming release.  Packages in backports are meant to be release ready.
> If we won't ship the package with the next stable release that's a clear
> sign that we don't deem it release ready, do we.
>
>> I am able to provide the latest security updates via my personal repo at
>> https://people.debian.org/~praveen/gitlab-11/ (gitlab 11.5.4) but really
>> like this to be in official stretch-backports repo.
>
>  For now a personal repository seems to be a good choice.
>
>> I'm willing to volunteer for backports ftp team.
>
>  Please don't volunteer for the team if you just want to do it for your
> personal gain, and to circumvent the guidelines we have set up.

I don't know if efforts to keep a package in official repos can be
characterized as personal gain.

I offered to volunteer because I'm adding extra work to backport ftp
team as there was no other reply from you before I asked explicitly on
the status.

Isn't it natural to volunteer for stuff you care about in debian?

> Writing
> bugreport entries like this clearly shows you don't understand the
> rules of backports:
>
> | Would it be okay to close this bug after buster release? That would
> | make it possible to provide newer versions via buster-backports. For
> | buster+1, we can remove it from testing again, close to freeze.
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=915050#65
>
>  That sounds clearly that you want to hack the rules and don't want to
> respect them.  That's not the best basis to hold a discussion about
> something you want us to do.

Are you saying these rules are so holy we can't even discuss changes to
them? Is rules made for the people or are people supposed to follow
rules blindly?

>  Also, I have a question: From a quick grep'n'count you have 41 packages
> in the NEW queue.  You have already 312 packages in stretch-backports.
> Are you doing this all by yourself?  Who could/is willing to take over
> that huge amount of packages to keep them in sync if your attention
> shifts or if you burn out?  We have had a fair amount of
> single-point-of-failures in the past and am burnt already by that, and
> I don't wish you any bad, but I've seen people burn out with way less on
> their shoulders.  Who else is behind this huge effort?  We are speaking
> about more than 20% of the backports archive solely on your shoulders
> here.  With all due respect and absolute in awe but that gets me worried
> a bit.

I get paid to work on gitlab packaging, so I can spend as much time
required to keep these packages in shape. The real challenge is when I
cannot fix some issues, I usually get good support from both ruby team
and gitlab upstream in case of issues.

If that situation changes, we can surely think about alternatives.