Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On 2018, ഡിസംബർ 26 4:11:19 PM IST, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:50:15AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
>> On 12/18/18 7:29 PM, Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
>> >  If you don't come up with arguments of why to change it, yes,
>there is
>> > a lack of pushing. :)
>>
>> gitlab has a popcon score of 95 and there are people who prefer a
>native
>> debian package over the omnibus package provided by upstream. There
>is
>> at least one person willing to take the effort and gitlab package is
>in
>> very good shape (no rc bugs, no security issues, latest upstream
>version
>> in unstable and personal stretch-backports repo of its maintainer).
>No
>> one sane would recommend using unstable in a production setup.
>
>To be frank,
>
>The reason for that is that no one sane would recommend running
>software
>which changes at high frequency.

Even Debian uses gitlab despite this and many more use it as well.

>I think the core of your problem is not that "gitlab is complex", as
>you
>sometimes claim on various Debian mailinglist, but more that "gitlab
>changes far too quickly for Debian".

It is not only about the speed of change, but the large dependency chain often requires transitions which requires coordinating with many different software. For example, updating protobuf took a long time as many packages depending on protobuf were not well maintained, we had to chase upstreams to update.

The other option would be to isolate completely, though that makes my life easier, Debian would be at a loss here. Many packages will be less updated and our users will suffer.

>There is a monthly release cycle for gitlab; and while gitlab does
>support older releases for a while, this support cycle is in no way
>long
>enough for an entire Debian cycle. As a result, you would end up having
>to update gitlab every month or so, which does not align well with
>Debian's release cycle.

Indeed, that is exactly why we are proposing a separate section for software like gitlab.

>If instead gitlab were to have a "long term support" release, that
>would
>solve a lot of issues.
>
>Is that something you could talk to upstream about?

We talked to them about it quite early, but they are not willing to change the release cycle.