Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On 12/18/18 7:29 PM, Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
>  If you don't come up with arguments of why to change it, yes, there is
> a lack of pushing. :)

gitlab has a popcon score of 95 and there are people who prefer a native
debian package over the omnibus package provided by upstream. There is
at least one person willing to take the effort and gitlab package is in
very good shape (no rc bugs, no security issues, latest upstream version
in unstable and personal stretch-backports repo of its maintainer). No
one sane would recommend using unstable in a production setup. Using
stretch-backports is already used in production setups including many
debian services. It provides a good buffer over unstable and security
updates are provided by closely tracking upstream versions who provide
security support for 3 months to a major release. It is a core service
used by debian itself and it is a shame we don't have a place for it in
official debian that can be recommended.

>>>  Sure, but volunteering doesn't mean changing everything along the way.
>>> That doesn't build trust, and that's one of the core points of that
>>> permissions, because it comes with responsibilities.
>>
>> As I said before, there was no communication on the reason for not
>> accepting. The bug you mentioned to keep out of testing was filed after
>> I requested to fast track gitlab. Also one reason pointed out in earlier
>> discussions was "I have too many packages already".
>
>  And that still holds true.  I pointed out that you maintain more than
> 20% of all packages within the backports archive.  I feel very uneasy
> about that fact, and you want to introduce even more.
>
>> Can you accept npm, which is useful outside of gitlab and there was
>> already a request on this list for a backport?
>
>  Is this another package which just has you behind?  I'm really worried
> about this approach.  Please try to get more people involved in that
> huge effort.  Even though you mentioned you are paid to work on this,
> attention shifts, workplace environments shift, and then we are suddenly
> with over 20% packages within the backports archive without maintainers.
> That's an extremely high load to distribute under volunteers, and your
> statement of "If that situation changes, we can surely think about
> alternatives" isn't helping:

I have asked in javascript team to respond if anyone is interested to
join this effort here
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-javascript-devel/2018-December/029849.html

>  I want to have this thinking process started now before we are hitting
> the dead-end street's wall.  Besides all, deities forbid, but if the
> situation changes you might not be part of that "we" anymore and thus
> won't be involved to clean up after yourself.  So given that you are
> driving up a critical point in the archive maintenance work efford I ask
> you right here right now to do the sensible thing and come up with a
> plan that convinces me how things might work out when that happens,
> before I process any further new package coming from you.  And I very
> much hope that you can relate to that concerns and are willing to find a
> solution.

I have also asked gitlab about their commitment to continue funding even
if I stop working on it. I have also asked them if they are open to
funding a team instead of just me.

I will update here once they respond.

>  Thanks for your understanding,

It was a bit demotivating as my idea of debian was to be able to work on
anything you want as long as you can keep the packages in good shape and
you follow the policy. If anyone cannot continue maintaining packages,
other could step up or it gets removed, fully or partially. Many of the
packages that I maintain are useful for the whole team and not just
gitlab (for example npm, rails, webpack, rollup). Packages like npm and
rails, I became and uploader. Packages like webpack, rollup made it
possible for a lot of people to join javascript team and maintain. If
not for the work on these core packages, they would not be able to
easily maintain these packages. When more than one person depends on
these packages, and there are new contributors joined because of the
existence of these package, the likelyhood of those packages maintained
increases.

I have also been very much aware of the fact that I cannot maintain all
of it alone sustainable and I have spent days and days (hours and hours)
mentoring new contributors. Look at the sponsored uploads here
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=praveen@debian.org Also look
at the number of people I advocated https://nm.debian.org/person/praveen

Some packaging workshops were of 7 days long and many more such
workshops of duration one or two days. And countless hours mentoring
online. I even started mentoring a new person just yesterday night.

Having to state all these after doing so much is painful. This was not
the kind of respect I expected from fellow contributors. I almost
decided to not upload to backports again.

Thanks
Praveen