Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On 12/18/18 2:59 PM, Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
Can you accept npm, which is useful outside of gitlab and there was
already a request on this list for a backport?
 Is this another package which just has you behind?  I'm really worried
about this approach.  Please try to get more people involved in that
huge effort.  Even though you mentioned you are paid to work on this,
attention shifts, workplace environments shift, and then we are suddenly
with over 20% packages within the backports archive without maintainers.
That's an extremely high load to distribute under volunteers, and your
statement of "If that situation changes, we can surely think about
alternatives" isn't helping:

The node package manager (npm) is a very important tool for people developing nodejs applications, and many people were inconvenienced when npm did not make it into Stretch. Jeremy Lal (the main uploader at that point) made several requests for help to package all of the dependencies needed for a newer version of npm for Buster. Many members of the Debian _javascript_ Team have contributed to this, and we are very proud that npm is back in testing.

When Praveen made a request for help to backport npm to Stretch, I contributed by backporting several dependencies.

Uploading new versions of these npm dependencies in stretch-backports will not be required very often. And anytime we need to update them, it will have to be done very carefully (like a transition) to avoid breaking other tools in stable that might use them.

Moving from npm 5.8.0 to the latest upstream release (currently 6.5.0) will not happen until after Buster is released, and in any case has to be coordinated with the plans for the main nodejs package.

So, Praveen is not alone in this task. But we are very happy in the Debian _javascript_ Team that Praveen has the time to contribute so much, and very happy that he also takes the time to continually mentor new Debian Contributors.

Regards,

Ross