Re: Upgrade to linux-image-3.12-1-kirkwood on qnap ts-110 bricks the NAS (until recover)

Hi Iacopo,

I like your description very much. Nevertheless two..three bugs in the description:

- at "When you connect you'll be given three choices...":
This step is more accurately described in http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/installer-flash-kernel:
  actually you have to follow the installer until you reach
  the partitioner (which is always somehow exciting), then go back
  and open a shell.  This environment has a full blown tool chain
  behind not just a limited busybox as in the first shell prompt.

- at the wget invocation:
  note that the wget will not be necessary most of the times
  unless you are (too) pedantic and purged the previous kernel
  before a successful boot with the new one

- instead standard operation is to move the new (non working)
  kernel from /boot to lets say /boot/xxx.
  Then link initrd.img and vmlinuz to the last working kernel

  ln -sf initrd.img-<last-working-initrd> initrd.img
  ln -sf vmlinuz-<last-working-vmlinuz>   vmlinuz

  After that "flash-kernel"

I understand your description fully and found it complete - on the other hand I did the procedure already once on my own. So I'm perhaps not the perfect proofreader... ;-)

Hardy