Re: Upgrade to linux-image-3.12-1-kirkwood on qnap ts-110 bricks the NAS (until recover)

On 17.01.2014 07:30, iacchi wrote:
:
My home router (a TP-Link TD-W8970) is acting as dhcp server but my main
computer is a Debian testing machine, so I can install whatever is needed.

- do you have your mtdX files available

Yes, I have.

Right now I also have another little problem: I'm in the opposite part
of the world in respect to my nas, and I will be for the whole year.
I'll have to ask my father to actually do all the bits that require
physical interaction (I can ssh to my machine to do the typing bits)
:

That's quite a challenge...

Do I understand correctly:
- the NAS is connected to the internet via the TP-Link
- your Debian machine is on the other side of earth also somehow
  connected to the internet
- which means:
  "Debian machine" <-> Router <-> Internet <-> TP-Link <-> NAS

My setup for recovery was actually "Debian machine" <-> NAS. So there is a slight difference between the two setups...

Recovery is working roughly as follows:
0. prepare a boot image for the NAS
1. activate U-Boot on the NAS
2. U-Boot is fetching its IP setup via dhcp
   - part of the setup is an lftp server including image name
   - this means that the dhcp must be capable providing the
     information to the NAS
3. U-Boot is loading the image from the lftp server
4. U-Boot is using this image to boot
5. standard ssh login to NAS
6. repair of the situation on the NAS

Steps 0 and 1 are easy, while step 2 is the hardest part.

Questions:
- any other computer on your fathers side available?
- computing skills of your father?
- do my conclusions til now fit to you environment?

Hardy