Re: Upgrade to linux-image-3.12-1-kirkwood on qnap ts-110 bricks the NAS (until recover)

Hardy Griech ha scritto:
> - could you try to convince the NAS to get actual dhcp setup from your
>   debian machine?  I.e. disable dhcp on the TP-Link and installing
>   isc-dhcp-server on your debian machine.

I can disable the dhcp server on the router, but will it be enough?
Anyway, it's worth a try.

> - or could you change the dhcp setup of the TP-Link router such that
>   the NAS tries to load an image from your debian machine? (Ians post)

No idea. I think no, honestly, but I can try. Solution one looks simpler.

> 0. does anybody know, if the image contains information unique to
>    a NAS?  If not I could provide you an image.
> 1. described on Martins site:
>    http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-119/recovery/

I still have the mtds so I can create that image. I think that some
information varies depending on the model, but I'm not sure.

> At least he will be capable of putting the NAS into recovery mode. (;-))

Yes, he can press reset :)

> You could also provide him information about the serial console
> (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-119/serial/).  Perhaps he
> is tough enough to install one.  In this case he could initiate the lftp
> download manually.

That would be harder I believe.

Anyway, just to check if I've well understood: if I manage to put the
nas in recovery mode and make it load an image from tftp then the serial
console won't be needed?
But the recovery image comes from QNAP, so Debian is more or less erased
anyway? Is there a way to make it boot Debian again without loosing data
and without reinstalling the system. I can reinstall the system I
believe, but I'd like at least the partition in the hdd with all the
data to survive.

thanks,
Iacopo