Re: Upgrade to linux-image-3.12-1-kirkwood on qnap ts-110 bricks the NAS (until recover)

On 19.01.2014 08:20, iacchi wrote:
:
Second question: the guide just says "make modifications to the system
and regenerate the initramfs" because you can do pretty much everything
there. But... what should I do? How do I flash a working kernel? This is
what I thought:
1. Flash the kernel and initram contained in the Debian installer - how?
Will it work?
2. Flash the last working kernel of Debian testing - how? Or, better, I
know how: I have to wget the .deb files of the working kernel and
initram and install them with dpkg, then launch flash-kernel (with
special parameters?). But how can I find these .deb files? can I look in
the apt cache directory to see if they're still there? Can I download
them from the Debian repositories? Does Debian keep a copy of older
kernels/deb in general online? I've never found them.
3. What else?
:

Sorry for the late reply. Now Ian already has done the work and answered most of your questions I guess.

That is how I got the last working kernel up again:

- fortunately I'm not immediately purging an old working linux-image
  so there were some left in /boot

- I moved (or did I purge (via apt) the non-working kernel?) the
  non-working kernel to a subdirectory /boot/xxx
  The non-working kernel consists of config-3.12-1-kirkwood,
  initrd.img-3.12-1-kirkwood, System.map-3.12-1-kirkwood and
  vmlinuz-3.12-1-kirkwood

- after that I replaced the symbolic links /boot/initrd.img
  and /boot/vmlinuz to point to the old working kernel

- then flash-kernel

- and reboot

Everything was again in right place - to answer your question below.

Four: if all of the above goes right, when I reboot will I have my
system back as it was before the problem? With all my
data/programs/system accessible as it was before? Or there will be other
steps to perform before I can go back using it?

Is your TS working again?

Hardy