Re: amd64 into mainstream

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 08:54:37AM +0200, Thomas Steffen wrote:
> I run several systems at home, and until recently I had a pretty
> narrow internet connection. So running testing with daily downloads
> between 5 and 50 MB per day per system was just not an option. On the
> other hand, stable only has about half of the applications that I need
> on my desktops, so it is not an option either. I did run stable with
> lots of backports at some point, but several backports will inevitably
> become incompatible, and resolving the conflicts is a pain.

I had no problem running unstable with 56k dialup.  Every few days I
would start an 'apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade -d -y && poff'
before going to bed, and a few hours later it would be done (usually).
Then in the morning I could do apt-get -u dist-upgrade to actually
install the packages after checking if I wanted them all.  Bandwidth
really does not seem like a limitation to running any version of Debian
unless your dialup costs a lot for use rather than flat rate.

> So I ended up running an old snapshot of testing. Which of course
> means that I ran outdated software, and got no fixes for it
> whatsoever.
>
> The one main reason that is driving my to ubuntu is, yes, debian's
> release cycle. And it has nothing to do with obsession, but everything
> with necessity. And so far, the migration has been a very pleasant
> surprise.

I think you seriously over estimate how much software changes in
unstable/testing.