Re: amd64 into mainstream

On 4/20/05, Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
> So IMHO there is something for everyone in debian and people should be
> less obsessed with release cycles.

I run several systems at home, and until recently I had a pretty
narrow internet connection. So running testing with daily downloads
between 5 and 50 MB per day per system was just not an option. On the
other hand, stable only has about half of the applications that I need
on my desktops, so it is not an option either. I did run stable with
lots of backports at some point, but several backports will inevitably
become incompatible, and resolving the conflicts is a pain.

So I ended up running an old snapshot of testing. Which of course
means that I ran outdated software, and got no fixes for it
whatsoever.

The one main reason that is driving my to ubuntu is, yes, debian's
release cycle. And it has nothing to do with obsession, but everything
with necessity. And so far, the migration has been a very pleasant
surprise.

Thomas