Re: amd64 into mainstream

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 08:41, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:30:10AM -0400, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> > Spoken live a true Server dude.  :)  The Desktop people aren't interested in
> > tossing out quality, but part of their definition of a quality OS is
> > reasonably up to date software.
>
> What makes kde 3.4 so much better than kde 3.2?  Why does your desktop
> need to be updated?
How about becuse it can be?  I hate HATE gnome, but I find gnome 2.10 is very
usable.  I never could use it before 2.10.  I find kde 3.4 very pleasing to the eye.
I prefer to use XFCE4.2, but of course that is not in debian either.  So why must
I have to NOT use the incremental improvemensts that everybody else has but
debian, just becuse I like debian?  This ever dragging out the release date is
driving me away from debian.

Why must I have xorg.  I don't, But why must I
use xfree?  It's dead.  Finished.  Buried.  Dead end. Etc etc etc.  and so it goes
package after package.  But you cant add new packages to sid becuse you
need to beable to put in bug fixes for sarge, which will be released in early 2010.

Debian (IMHO) needs to get over this (somehow) or become irrelevant, and interesting
idea, that has come and gone.  I can't even use amd64 (Not cutting edge technology,
they are everywhere, and cheap) with out going to experimental.  Why?  We can't rock
the house while sarge is still baking.  I am all about stabiliy for servers.  Most users of
debian don't run servers, they run desktops.  Support the desktop or kiss debian good
bye as far as a userbase goes.  But hey, who cares?  You will still have your spark
users!

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com