Re: amd64 into mainstream

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:45:50AM -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Now that is a good point.  I am not sure that is it valid.  Here is why:  500
> desktop user vs one sys admin who uses 500 servers with debian.  If the 500
> users go away, then you have one guy who is using debian, and when he gets
> fired, layed off, or quites, the boxes get migrated off of debian becuse
> nobody knows how to admin them.  I am not sure it is not a valid point
> however.
>
> I am also unsure what the % of debian servers are vs other linux.  But ok. so
> the driving force for debian is servers.  Then why am I and anybody else who
> is interested in desktop use here?  You just supported the seperation of a
> desktop from the server branch.
>
> But from my prospective, I don't realy care about that one way or another.  I
> just want a usable desktop that supports my amd64 or 32bit x86 platform that
> just works.  And in that perspective, debian is being hurt by the long
> release dates and I don't know the solution to it.
>
> Newer is not always better, but incremental improvment is worth using if it
> makes your life easier.  Just my 2C worth and I reserver the right to be
> wrong.

Well debian-pure64 sarge installed flawlessly on my adm64, and the
kde3.4 packages installed perfectly too.  Seemed perfectly good for a
desktop for me.  Perhaps ubuntu is easier on a laptop, but for just a
desktop, there was nothing that didn't work with debian for me.  It may
not be official but it sure works.