Re: amd64 into mainstream

snip
> How do you know most Debian users run desktops?  Have you asked all of
>   Does one admin with 500 Debian servers only count as one user or
> as 500?
Now that is a good point.  I am not sure that is it valid.  Here is why:  500
desktop user vs one sys admin who uses 500 servers with debian.  If the 500
users go away, then you have one guy who is using debian, and when he gets
fired, layed off, or quites, the boxes get migrated off of debian becuse
nobody knows how to admin them.  I am not sure it is not a valid point
however.

I am also unsure what the % of debian servers are vs other linux.  But ok. so
the driving force for debian is servers.  Then why am I and anybody else who
is interested in desktop use here?  You just supported the seperation of a
desktop from the server branch.

But from my prospective, I don't realy care about that one way or another.  I
just want a usable desktop that supports my amd64 or 32bit x86 platform that
just works.  And in that perspective, debian is being hurt by the long
release dates and I don't know the solution to it.

Newer is not always better, but incremental improvment is worth using if it
makes your life easier.  Just my 2C worth and I reserver the right to be
wrong.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com