Re: amd64 into mainstream

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:49:49AM -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> How about becuse it can be?  I hate HATE gnome, but I find gnome 2.10 is very
> usable.  I never could use it before 2.10.  I find kde 3.4 very pleasing to the eye.
> I prefer to use XFCE4.2, but of course that is not in debian either.  So why must
> I have to NOT use the incremental improvemensts that everybody else has but
> debian, just becuse I like debian?  This ever dragging out the release date is
> driving me away from debian.

Hmm, no wonder Microsoft has made so much money. :)

> Why must I have xorg.  I don't, But why must I
> use xfree?  It's dead.  Finished.  Buried.  Dead end. Etc etc etc.  and so it goes
> package after package.  But you cant add new packages to sid becuse you
> need to beable to put in bug fixes for sarge, which will be released in early 2010.

Well I imagine Debian will get x.org sometime, but probably not in sarge
since sarge really does want to get released and x.org probably doesn't
work on every architecture yet.  Maybe it does, but I doubt it.  And you
can add new packages to sid in many cases without it going to sarge.  I
guess there are also some things they won't allow to be updated in sid
too.

> Debian (IMHO) needs to get over this (somehow) or become irrelevant, and interesting
> idea, that has come and gone.  I can't even use amd64 (Not cutting edge technology,
> they are everywhere, and cheap) with out going to experimental.  Why?  We can't rock
> the house while sarge is still baking.  I am all about stabiliy for servers.  Most users of
> debian don't run servers, they run desktops.  Support the desktop or kiss debian good
> bye as far as a userbase goes.  But hey, who cares?  You will still have your spark
> users!

How do you know most Debian users run desktops?  Have you asked all of
them?  Does one admin with 500 Debian servers only count as one user or
as 500?