Re: Iceweasel [was Re: firefox-8.0.1]

On 27/11/11 21:42, Bill MacAllister wrote:
> --On November 27, 2011 1:34:55 PM +1300 Michael Cree <mcree@orcon.net.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> I must admit I am a bit stunned by how quick that was.  It may well be
>> that the build for qt4-x11 detects the number of CPUs and builds in
>> parallel for part of the build (though I didn't realise that happening
>> the very occassional time I checked on the build), or maybe your build
>> was utterly crippled by virtual memory switching.  Or maybe I cocked up
>> the configuration file and most of it has been left unbuilt.  It did
>> produce 50 deb files.
>
> Do you have a stable smp kernel available somewhere?  Last time I tried
> upgrading/building an smp kernel for my AS1200 the system was unstable.
> I am running non-smp now.

The 3.1.1-1 smp kernel proved to be quite unreliable on the ES45.  It
crashed during the test suite of a build of git.  I mean to do some more
testing before reporting to the linux-kernel mail list.

I have temporarily gone back to the modified 2.6.32 lenny-backports smp
kernel that I built for the buildds.  The test suite of the git build
worked fine.  It has been working now for a few days on the ES45 without
problem...

Acutally, no, not quite.  Running dmesg now and I see that a page
allocation failure has recently been reported.  I think that is what you
reported happening on the A1200.  So, maybe I don't have a better
kernel.  Hmmmmmmmmm

Cheers
Michael.