Re: Iceweasel [was Re: firefox-8.0.1]

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 01:49:21PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 26/11/11 01:20, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > :-).  There was a recent binutils upgrade.  I wonder...
>
> No, binutils is not fixed.  The GPREL16 relocation error still occurs
> with other packages.  I suspect the use of -O1 may cause the compiler to
> pass --no-relax to the linker.

Makes sense...

> > Ok...  Rub it in :-).  How long did the iceweasel build take on your
> > shiny new toy?
>
> Just under 4 hours as a single process build.

I'm officially envious.  A 26-hour savings is nothing to sneeze at.

> >  Might have to have you crank out an official "-O0" or
> > "-O1" build of QT4 so I can release the hold on 25 binary packages.
>
> OK, I'll take a look at that one.  I presume you mean qt4-x11?

That would be the one.  I'd be interested in the build time for it as
well.  If your iceweasel build time is indicative, I'm guessing you
might complete qt4-x11 in about 15 hours as a single-process build.

In unrelated news, I've been trying to get someone's attention over on
linux-kernel to assist with the system freezes when I try to run either
KDE4 or Gnome-3 with KMS.  The 3.2-rc3 kernel seems a bit better than
its predecessors, but I *think* what's happening is simple memory
exhaustion.  No panic messages, extreme system sluggishness just before
it goes completely unresponsive, etc.  Of more than a little concern is
the number of do_entUnaUser suppressed callbacks showing up in syslog as
the desktop session process startup proceeds.

--Bob