Iceweasel [was Re: firefox-8.0.1]

On 22/11/11 16:26, Bob Tracy wrote:
> The ES45 machines have arrived!

Indeed, after a heart stopping wait.

> An "iceweasel" build should be
> available in the Alpha "unstable" repository in a few days.

Good news.  I have a working iceweasel version 8.0-3.

I did the following:

1) Add some Alpha defines into the file
ipc/chromium/src/build/build_config.h.  Namely:

#elif defined(__alpha__)
#define ARCH_CPU_ALPHA 1
#define ARCH_CPU_64_BITS 1
#else

2) Set optimization to use -O1 not -O2.

3) Now this one is *very* *interesting*.  I added -Wl,--no-relax to
LDFLAGS in debian/rules, but I think I got it wrong, because --no-relax
did not appear anywhere in the logs, i.e., it did not get added to any
of the linking stages, and what's more, the build completed without
GPREL16 relocation errors!!!!!!!  Make of that what you will.

It is installed and working on a PWS600au under the xfce4 desktop
environment, with KMS on a HD2400 Radeon card.

I will get it packaged up properly and uploaded to the *unreleased*
distribution at debian-ports.  It should appear as version 8.0-3+alpha
on your favourite mirror within a couple of days.

Cheers
Michael.