Re: Iceweasel [was Re: firefox-8.0.1]

On 26/11/11 01:20, Bob Tracy wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 09:23:01PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
>>
>> 2) Set optimization to use -O1 not -O2.
>>
>> 3) Now this one is *very* *interesting*.  I added -Wl,--no-relax to
>> LDFLAGS in debian/rules, but I think I got it wrong, because --no-relax
>> did not appear anywhere in the logs, i.e., it did not get added to any
>> of the linking stages, and what's more, the build completed without
>> GPREL16 relocation errors!!!!!!!  Make of that what you will.
>> It is installed and working on a PWS600au under the xfce4 desktop
>> environment, with KMS on a HD2400 Radeon card.
>
> :-).  There was a recent binutils upgrade.  I wonder...

No, binutils is not fixed.  The GPREL16 relocation error still occurs
with other packages.  I suspect the use of -O1 may cause the compiler to
pass --no-relax to the linker.

> Which compiler version did you use for your build?

Latest gcc-4.4, i.e., the default.

> Ok...  Rub it in :-).  How long did the iceweasel build take on your
> shiny new toy?

Just under 4 hours as a single process build.

>  Might have to have you crank out an official "-O0" or
> "-O1" build of QT4 so I can release the hold on 25 binary packages.

OK, I'll take a look at that one.  I presume you mean qt4-x11?

Cheers
Michael.