Re: Mach64 cards work with SX164 and Debian - Only kernel 2.4 makes trouble

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:13:31PM +0100, Falk Hueffner wrote:

> I have a Permedia 2 based card (Diamond FireGL 2) in my SX164, and it
> also doesn't work properly with XFree 4 (pixmaps get corrupted.
> Usually, I try to fix bugs myself, but I have no idea how to debug
> this...). OTOH, this can be seen as great progress: earlier versions
> of XFree4 left the console in an unusual state, and even earlier ones
> crashed the kernel :)

Sigh; yeah, 4.0.0 through 4.0.3 were all broken on a lot of Alphas,
especially the EV56-based ones (LX/SX/MIATA/etc). I sent patches to
RH/SuSE/Debian right after 4.0.3 was released that fixed most if not
all of those, and submitted them to XFree86 where they subsequently
appeared in 4.1.0.

So, if you are using an older XFree86, upgrading may well help. If you
aren't, or it does NOT, I'd like to know more details.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K15         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com