Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On 11/10/2013 5:02 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Or it might be an issue with the console driver. Do you see any hard
disk activity on the HDD LED or does the LC not have one?

Maybe it's booting fine but just no further console output. Maybe
the serial console might help.
No LED sadly. I don't have any peripherals that can connect to the ADB-esque serial ports, is there a convenient kernel parameter to enable a net console maybe?

MacOS applications only get the amount of memory assigned to them. You can
increase Penguin's memory in Finder using Get Info under the File menu.
Given the size of this kernel image, Penguin's default setting isn't
likely to work.
I tried playing around with this - on a fresh boot with no open windows, I have 5.9mb free. I followed your advice and maximized the minimum ram required, however on doing that and trying to boot the kernel/initrd Penguin says it doesn't have enough memory to allocate. The dearth of memory is a result of running System 7.5, but though I could downgrade messing with MacOS is more hassle than I'm up for.

Fortunately, emile supports mounting the hard disk (not just from floppy) and loading from there - the progress bars load and I have every reason to believe I can boot that way, assuming I get the correct initrd and kernel for the job.

It seems that one way or another something is missing, so I either need to find a better kernel/ramdisk pair or else build one. I only have this one 68k Mac that runs 2.2 when it works, how would I build something? Would it be the same kernel build process as one does for x86? Is there anywhere to look for other prebuilt pairs?

Thanks,
Patrick