Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On 11/11/2013 9:31 AM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
<snip>
Still haven't gotten around to trying to figure out the ADB options
for X. I have a couple or three PPC Macs sitting around that ought to
I think evdev is correct right now for keyboard and mouse, and
fbdev might work for the graphical device (IIRC, someone reported
that it works on mac68k OOTB,

fbdev seems to mostly work, same as it did in the old 2.2 kernel I had. I get a strip of "unused" space at the bottom that shows the old Mac OS wallpaper permanently. X also leaves this bar, so there may be a genuine framebuffer issue. No real harm, just reduces the available resolution by 64 pixels or so. I realized from the other message that I forgot that evdev needs a specific kernel module as well - I was thinking it was solely part of X. I'll have to look into compiling the modules to go along with this kernel (unless there's already a pile of modules ready to go somewhere). I finally got a toolchain going on-system so with patience it ought to work.

On the other hand, I was at OpenRheinRuhr this weekend and ran
Debian/m68k in ARAnyM on my laptop as “showcase”, which gathered
quite some interest from the crowd. (And I talked before thinking,
which is why I was forcibly volunteered to hold a talk about it
at the next VCFe

And this is why I'm always careful about my audience when I'm showing off anything vintage/odd/etc I'm doing ;)

If I can offer anything based on my Mac experience, let me know.

Scott