Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Patrick McCarthy wrote:

> > MacOS applications only get the amount of memory assigned to them. You
> > can increase Penguin's memory in Finder using Get Info under the File
> > menu. Given the size of this kernel image, Penguin's default setting
> > isn't likely to work.
> I tried playing around with this - on a fresh boot with no open windows,
> I have 5.9mb free. I followed your advice and maximized the minimum ram
> required, however on doing that and trying to boot the kernel/initrd
> Penguin says it doesn't have enough memory to allocate. The dearth of
> memory is a result of running System 7.5, but though I could downgrade
> messing with MacOS is more hassle than I'm up for.

I use MacOS 7.5.3 on everything; even 8 MB systems. The overheads are
small enough since you don't need any system extensions to run Penguin.
You can disable those with the Extensions Manager control panel (I think
that's what it's called) or just restart and hold down shift key when you
hear the chime. A few seconds later you will see something like
"Extensions disabled" on the screen.

> Fortunately, emile supports mounting the hard disk (not just from
> floppy) and loading from there - the progress bars load and I have every
> reason to believe I can boot that way,

Sounds good. I didn't know emile could do that...

> assuming I get the correct initrd and kernel for the job.

Right. I can't validate these files as I have no m68k Mac hardware to
hand. Perhaps Scott or one of the Debian developers can test this initrd
and kernel binary on a Mac.

> It seems that one way or another something is missing, so I either need
> to find a better kernel/ramdisk pair or else build one. I only have this
> one 68k Mac that runs 2.2 when it works, how would I build something?
> Would it be the same kernel build process as one does for x86? Is there
> anywhere to look for other prebuilt pairs?

If you are comfortable with cross compiling kernels, that's the best way
to go. If not, and if you can't use the Debian kernels, then let me know
and I'll build a suitable kernel binary for you.

Finn