Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On 11/11/2013 12:04 AM, Patrick McCarthy wrote:
I tried playing around with this - on a fresh boot with no open windows, I have 5.9mb free. I followed your advice and maximized the minimum ram required, however on doing that and trying to boot the kernel/initrd Penguin says it doesn't have enough memory to allocate. The dearth of memory is a result of running System 7.5, but though I could downgrade messing with MacOS is more hassle than I'm up for.

If you're on a 36mb system and only showing 5.9mb free, it sounds like you're running in 24-bit mode. Go to the Memory control panel and make sure you're in 32 bit mode. This should let you access the whole 36mb in Mac OS. I haven't messed with emile at all but I've had good luck with Penguin so I'll likely stick with it. I do occasionally use the Mac side as well so I have a complete happy installation of 8.1 there. I'm not completely familiar with the depths of the Mac hardware; if it's still in 24-bit mode when emile tries to boot (thanks to PRAM settings) then that could account for the failures. Unfortunately since I'm on 8.1 I don't have an easy way of testing a boot in 24 bit mode since it requires 32-bit.

assuming I get the correct initrd and kernel for the job.

These are the same pair I'm using, so they should work.

Scott