Re: Linux 3.1-2-m68k config (was: Re: Linux 3.10-2-m68k FPU support)

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
>> > ! CONFIG_FB_SYS_COPYAREA                   : m n
>> > ! CONFIG_FB_SYS_FILLRECT                   : m n
>> > ! CONFIG_FB_SYS_FOPS                       : m n
>> > ! CONFIG_FB_SYS_IMAGEBLIT                  : m n
>> >
>> >Would this prevent the macfb framebuffer console from working in the
>> >absence of kernel modules?
>> >

>> With the switch to initrd, absence of modules is simply no longer
>> supported at all, period.
>
> When something goes wrong, and the kernel messages aren't available to
> tell you what went wrong, then you may lack the information you need to
> support those things that you are willing to support.
>
> Hence I was trying to find an explanation for the screen shot posted,
> which says "console [tty0] enabled" even though the macfb console did not
> appear.

No, without fb/console support you wouldn't even see those.

>> Besides, if multi_defconfig has it as "n"...
>
> That should be OK; all of my test kernel configs also disable these
> options.

Indeed. Mac needs the CONFIG_FB_CFB_* counterparts.

CONFIG_FB_SYS_* is for system RAM, while CONFIG_FB_CFB_*
is for iomem. Not that it would matter much on m68k, m68k has no
strict separation between both.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds