Re: X on Mac

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> On 5/27/07, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 26 May 2007, Joel Ewy wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm.  As I recall, there is another layout (or was in XFree86 4.x)
> > > for the Mac called something like "macintosh_old".  I believe this
> > > was for the older, small ADB keyboards that didn't have Function
> > > keys.  It sounds like you're using a full-sized keyboard, but it
> > > might tell us something if you try out the other layout.
> >
> > I think macintosh_old is for old kernels (or newer kernels that have
> > been configured to send ADB keycodes -- but I've never seen one, since
> > powerpc and m68k switched to linux keycodes years ago).
>
> actually, no, we just switched.

Sure you just switched, but others have been running 2.6 on m68k macs for
years.

AFAIK, ADB keycodes were deprecated around 2.4 by those Debian packages
that care about the console. And for ADB, naturally m68k follows in the
powermac footsteps.

> whoops, looks you guys beat me to it. both finn's 20 and christians 21
> have
>
> CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y

That's because I used the debian config for that kernel. I build smaller
kernels for myself, and I don't enable CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES. It doesn't
do anything in 2.6.x. It should be removed from Kconfig.

> i should try booting with kernel option keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1

The 2.6.x kernel doesn't use that either (I don't know if userspace does
anything with it).

-f