[Debconf-team] Motivation for the raffle

also sprach Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> [2014-09-11 04:41 +0200]:
> If people want to sleep-in they always can. (Realistically I am
> not so sure I buy that this will work as an incentive to get
> people to come to early slot if they are night owls anyway , but
> I think a raffle that doesn't conflict with talks, can't hurt.)

Just to clear this up once and for all: the raffle's intention is
not to get people out of bed. It's not even a "carrot" for people to
attend the (short) "home room" sessions in the morning. It's more an
invitation for sponsors to hand out free items that are worth more
than can be put into each bag, as Brian said in another mail.

I've copied the idea from LCA, and at LCA, the raffle *is* a reason
for people to get up and attend, but this is because it became part
of the conference culture over the many years. Maybe this will
happen to us too, or maybe we scratch the whole thing in a year or
two. To find out, we need to try it ;).

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org