Re: [Debconf-team] RFC: (Hopefully) Last draft of the dc15 sponsorship brochure

On 09/10/2014 11:09 PM, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
> Also, I don't like the idea of publicizing the raffle as a motivating
> factor to attend DC events. I can't find words now to express this, but
> it sounds to me a kind of legitimation of laziness, DebConf officially
> tolerating the fact that a small chance to win a random gadget is more
> motivating to attendees (who're mostly sponsored) than the opportunity
> to join a presencial discussion relevant for the project.

Thanks for bringing this up, Tiago.  I share your sentiment -- i'd
rather that the raffle is done at a time when people are free and that
explicitly doesn't conflict with scheduled activities, rather than use
it as "bait" to convince people to come participate in an event.  If
people are at an event just because they wanted to win a prize, i'm not
sure that actually contributes much to the event itself.

As someone who participated in the raffles this year (and even won one
of them, thanks to our sponsors), i was a little annoyed that the
scheduling seemed close to slipping into overlap with scheduled talk
sessions.  I think we should make it clear to sponsors that (a) raffles
or other distracting time-specific events *must not* overlap with the
scheduled talks, and (b) debconf attendees tend toward night-owl sides,
so (depending on who you want to be visible to) you might want to
encourage the scheduling of your raffle accordingly.

If we want to make the raffle even more visible (for higher
sponsorship?) we could include it in the schedule; this would require
coordination with the schedulers on the talks team.

	--dkg