Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: DebConf in the USA

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 01:24:35PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 03:59:01PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 08:41:54PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > > In the case of those people denied visas, were they sponsored?  Did they
> > > have financial losses and was it possible to compensate them?
>
> > I don't think DebConf10 sponsored those fees in that situation - but I
> > really don't remember.  However, the economics of Portland are different
> > enough from those of NYC, and 2013-2014 different enough from 2008-2010,
> > that any decision on how to handle visa fees for their bid will not depend
> > on what DC10 did.  As for what they decide...  I'm not on the Portland bid
> > team and will not speak for them.  :)
>
> I would not regard that as a "Portland" decision.  The funds for any visa
> sponsorship should come from the DebConf coffers, and use of money for this
> purpose should be agreed with the DebConf team as a whole - possibly even as
> a requirement of the Committee's acceptance of the Portland bid.

Good point. I'm also currently on hiatus from other DebConf roles due to being
busy, so I still will defer to those who are doing the work here. :)

In DC10 I don't think I was on the travel sponsorship team, so my memory of
what happened there shouldn't be considered reliable, let alone binding on
DC14.

> I also think the $14 ESTA processing fee for citizens of visa waiver
> countries should not be reimbursed.

One other note about ESTA - it's valid for unlimited VWP trips over the 2-year
duration, so if a VWP citizen has a recent-enough ESTA approval on their
current passport, such as for a work trip or a prior tech conference/summit,
they wouldn't need to pay the fee again. (There are other cases where they need
to pay the fee for a new ESTA, but it's rare.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1126/~/esta---length-of-approval
has the specifics.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org