Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: DebConf in the USA

On 18/03/13 20:24, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:

> While Daniel Pocock is technically right about the structure of US visa law
> where the burden is on the applicant to prove nonimmigrant intent, he's wrong
> about hard it was overall for DebConf10 visa applicants to overcome that
> burden.

I didn't make any `absolute' statement about how hard it is, I just gave
a relative comparison with Europe, which we've agreed is not perfect either.

Also, I never called on the Portland team to nail down all the details
of lawyers and stuff just yet, simply reflecting on the facts from DC10
and providing feedback (which is now happening) seems like a really
valuable exercise.

In the case of those people denied visas, were they sponsored?  Did they
have financial losses and was it possible to compensate them?

I would withdraw the comparison between the US and Australia though, it
seems even the US is not a fan of the extreme elements of what passes
for immigration policy in Australia
 http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/us-slams-political-games-on-refugees-20101215-18y9s.html