Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: DebConf in the USA

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 01:05:22PM -0700, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Sonntag, 17. März 2013, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > About this topic : from my own experience, I would advise *against*
> > targeting a "big" conference room, except maybe for opening/closing
> > sessions (ok, that puts aside the difficulty of setting up a romm only
> > for two sessions, for the video team).

> actually, given our equipment and our experience, I'd say this is totally
> doable now. It requieres a bit of extra planing / considerations, yes.

>From the bid team's POV, we're flexible about going with whichever room
configuration the DebConf team thinks is appropriate.  We would still like
input from the committee regarding the model we should use for estimating
capacity requirements for the different rooms.  I definitely don't think a
room for 150 would be big enough for our plenaries, even at
standing-room-only; but whether we should stick with the 200 or go with one
that seats 350 or 650 is a question that I think someone who has the long
view on DebConf capacity planning should help us answer.

If the Committee wants us to refine the venue cost estimates for a different
configuration before making a decision, I'm happy to do that.  FWIW, if we
had to rent the Ballroom for the whole week that would double our venue
costs - but to rent it for, say, 3 hours at the beginning of the week and 3
hours at the end would only increase the total venue expense by about 10%,
and less than that if we used Hoffmann Hall instead of the Ballroom.