Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: DebConf in the USA

On 18/03/13 05:44, Tiago B. Vaz wrote:

>> When you consider that the remaining 10% is not an insignificant number
>> of people and they make as valuable a contribution to the Debian project
>> as anybody else, I think it is important for any DebConf bid to take
>> some time to reflect on their travel situation.
>>
> I can't see where it was said that 10% is an insignificant number and
They weren't explicitly referred to in the bid, which leaves me feeling
they weren't perceived as a significant issue.
> that those people aren't valuable to Debian. I see these numbers more as
> a way to think that it's not time to put energy on setting a WebRTC
> interface for a small percentage of another small percentage of people

WebRTC is not much more than:

    apt-get install sipml5-web-phone

and that is a lot less effort than it takes for some people to take a
day off work and travel to a US embassy in some other part of their country.

Agreed that it is possible to subtract from the stats those people who
already have a 10 year US visa.

On the other hand, it is not just small percentages of small
percentages: it's more than half the world's population.
All but one of the world's top 10 countries[1] all seem to have been
discriminated against in constructing the VWP country list[2].

And just writing off those people who resent the idea of being
fingerprinted like a criminal as `conscientious objectors' is not
helpful.  Debian takes principles with software, it should be no
surprise that we have contributors who draw the line at such other
rampant violations of personal liberties.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

2. http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#citizen