Re: [Debconf-team] day trip options

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> then, this voting. be it voting about the day trip or meeting time. using
> doodle to find a meeting time technically works well, but again, working to
> get a rough consensus here works better i believe. if we vote for a meeting
> time, NYC localtime will clearly win.
>
> this voting yesterday about the daytrip was a waste of time, when 20 people
> came together to work on making this conference happen. listening to
> arguments and evaluating their pros and cons is what gets the best result.
> voting lets the idiotic majority win. (the majority will be idiotic, if
> arguments are not brought up or listened too.)
>
> organizing a debian conference with a budget of 250k doesnt work (well), if
> experienced people are not heard, which is what you get if you dont
> communicate properly with each other. which is exactly what has been
> happening.
>
> btw, I was also quite disgusted about the dc11 decission meeting. not about
> the result, but the way the decission was "achieved". i never got around to
> write this down in proper words, and I wont now, but yesterdays failure to
> organize this conference together pretty much reminded me of that day.
>
> p.s: debian day status?
>
> p.p.s.: (even thinking about) counting the votes with devotee is pathetic.
> sorry, but I had to say this.

I call the voting during the meeting to stop the discussion as it was
going nowhere and I wanted to discuss Queue B. I did it in full
understanding it wasn't going to be particularly useful nor binding.
The use of devotee, etc was suggested, but I don't even know what that
is (a client-side program? an IRC bot?).

By the way, your comments about how unwell we are running a conference
with a 250k budget because we're not "listening" to "experienced"
people are definitely unasked for and do not help. We listen to plenty
of the old orga team members... particularly the ones that do not send
belittling e-mails.

Last but not least, the scheduling polls are not really used the way
you think. Once people fill in their available times, we chose based
on having a set of attendees that can help us go through the agenda
items. But at any point, if you have a better way or better ideas,
just take upon yourself scheduling the meeting. I'm sure it'll take
less of your time than sending inflammatory e-mails to the mailing
list which in turns discourages key contributors in this DebConf. At
any point, I am sorry you despise the concept of voting and such, but
in this case your hate for vote-based systems is blinding your
understanding of what is going on.

P.