Re: [Debconf-team] day trip options

Hi,
My position in the meeting more detailed, proposal included.

The social part of DebConf is very important, the daytrip is something
to have, however, when you have budget problems you need to become creative
and make some things less cool that you would like.
I know the people who has currently planned the day in Coney Island with
the baseball game is very enthusiatic about this. But people primary attend
to DebConf to meet developer X and Y, specially when they have never met
them in real life before.

Cutting all sponsoring in the daytrip give us 3900 USD (at least), that is 25%
of the money in the queue B. If we do not have any surprise expense from CU,
by friday we could push this to a nice 60% at least.
If you have access to debconf-data/bursary.ods, take a look at the names,
I do not know about you but I would like to have in debconf that guy very
active in d-i, those guys who are very active in release team stuff and that
guy who does an amazing job in getting python modules in the archive.
If they already got their tickets, i do not want them working more time in
september to pay their ticket and thus having less time to Debian.

So what about:
- the daytrip is a day in Coney Island, where people pay their metro ticket
It is 4.5 USD round trip, probably doable to 95 % of attendees. Way cheaper
than last 2 years debconfs daytrip.

- there is a optional baseball game. We can not cut this completely
given we have paid 1,003.50 to reserve 200 seats and the money is NOT
refundable. We need to miminize the lose here, reduce this money to the
minimum number of seats possible and ask people interested to pay.
If we are lucky, we will sell all the seats and in case we do not have
enought tickets, some people will have to pay maybe 5-6 USD extra. It
is not so bad.

Ana