Re: coordination? (was: APT 0.6 development: who to synchronize with?)

> In the past I've been sending merge requests mostly via BTS or via
> IRC. I'll use this list in the future more often.

This list receives all BTS mail. So, when working on bugs, the best is
certainly to write to xxxxx@b.d.o (not -quiet, of course). This is how
we proceed for the shadow package development.

About bug triage, let me paste the small text I have written for
shadow bug triage. This is a kind of common ground for best use of bug
tags and pseudo-tags.

pseudo-tagging has proven to be quite useful (Scott uses it for dpkg)
for srting things for which no BTS tag is appropriate.

For the work about APT, maybe something could be taken from the
following.

Please note that I have chosen a quite aggressive work method to deal
with shadow bugs, especially for bugs for which "moreinfo" is
mentioned and we receive no input. In the same way, I have decided,
for shadow, to *close* all bugs marked as "wontfix", except in very
special occasions (mostly things which are very likely to be reported
again and again).

The use of BTS tags and pseudo-tags in shadow package bug triage

BTS tags.
--------

Please also read /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-maint-info.txt for the
"normal" meanings

   patch
        Means someone submitted a patch. If the patch is commited,
	to the CVS, add "pending"

   wontfix
        Only for bugs we really want to keep opened and don't
	want to see reported again and again

   moreinfo
        For old bugs we've asked confirmation of. CLOSE these bugs
	when nothing comes

   unreproducible
        Normal meaning. Should most often be coupled with moreinfo

   help
        We need some external help

   pending
        ONLY when the fix has been commited to the CVS

   fixed
        Please don't use

   security
        Normal meaning

   upstream
        ALL bugs in shadow's code (ie not pertaining to Debian packaging
        or Debian specific scripts) should be marked that way

   confirmed
        Normal meaning. Please use it as much as possible
        when bugs are OK for you but the fix is yet to come or you
	don't have time or skills to fix it yourself

   fixed-upstream
        VERY IMPORTANT as we work with upstream. Tag that way ALL bugs
	for which the fix has been commited by Tomasz in his CVS

   fixed-in-experimental
        We'll see if we use experimental..:-)

   d-i
        All bugs that affect the installer. For shadow, this should mostly
	be things related to passwd.config script

   ipv6
        Irrelevant for us

   lfs
        Normal meaning

   l10n
        Normal meaning. ALso include documentation translation and i18n
	issues

   potato
        Irrelevant..:)

   woody
        Hopefully, we won't use it often

   sarge
        Will become important if we decide to keep opened all bugs fixed
	in unstable/testing when sarge will have been released

   sarge-ignore
        Normal meaning

   sid
        Normal meaning

   experimental
        Normal meaning

Pseudo-tags
-----------

We need more granular triaging. So, we will also use pseudo-tags in
bug titles. The usual bracket method is to be used.

[POST-SARGE]   : bug will be fixed/dealt with after sarge release
                 as, now, all bugs are that flavour, this could be dropped
	         but this is indeed a convenient way to easily see what
		 has been already investigated

[<first name>] : bug is attributed to one of us
		 (Christian, Nicolas, Alexander...)
		 Use capitals

[TO CLOSE yyyymmdd] : without further notice, this bug may be closed
		      one week after the last request for comment

[DEBIAN DECISION]   : dealing with this bug is a design choice which must
		      be discussed with other DD's or even the Technical
		      Comitee

[EXPERT]            : this bug, though not needing a design decision
                      needs an external expert advice (somewhat redundant)
		      with the "help" tag. Use with care, please...