Re: RFS: xserver-xorg-video-openchrome_0.2.904+svn858-1

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 07:31:22PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Julien Viard de Galbert <julien@vdg.blogsite.org> (20/10/2010):
> > Well actually the git repos is build using git-svn so I never
> > downloaded a tarball. I think the explanation on how to configure
> > git-svn on a clone from debian's package git should go to
> > debian/README.source however this file currently came from xsfbs so
> > I didn't change it.
>
> I'm not sure how to proceed with that one. Either adding a file
> (possibly pointed to from README.source), or directly modifying the
> README.source for openchrome, and living with (possible) conflicts
> when merging from xsfbs.

Well I did add a paragraph at the beginning of README.source so I hope
the merges with xsfbs will be easy. I also added a new README.VCS-source
describing the git and git-svn usage.

> That said, git-svn is a bit special, since it's somehow linked to the
> initial clone you did, with its local metadata. I guess somebody
> willing to work on updating it as well could git svn clone upstream
> starting with the last commit in the upstream branch, and then apply
> patches manually from one (git-svn-based) branch to another
> (“pure”-git) one. Unless some new feature appeared, helping people to
> play around with git-svn in a distributed fashion.

I didn't do the initial git-svn checkout, but when adopting the package
I found that configuring git-svn after cloning the git repos from
debian was rebuilding the git-svn branch correctly, so I just described
the steps in README.VCS-source.

> > Unless the idea is to use pristine-tar for the first tarball we
> > build for a particular svn revision so that later debian revision of
> > the packages can be build directly from git... (just got it, right?)
>
> That's the idea, yeah.
>
> > I'll look into that. And that also needs to be documented, is
> > debian/README.source the right place ?
>
> Yeah, that would be, with the same comments as above.

Done.

But pristine-tar branch only have 0.2.904+svn842, I didn't do the one
for the experimental branch as I didn't know if you prepared it already.
Also the changes to debian-unstable should be merged (or cherry-picked)
to the experimental branch. I didn't push that either, but I can, just
ask.

Regards

Julien VdG
--