Re: Processed: 008_fix_xgetpw_macro.diff breaks Xlib API.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:57:48PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> Can you name a private function "errno"?  No, that's a reserved name.
> Can you name an private function "_x11_fooooobar"?  Technically, no,
> you cannot, that's a reserved name!  All names that start with
> underscore are reserved by the language standard.

So you're conceding it's a private function, which OpenMotif must not
use by definition?

> Now, I freely grant that in practice, if you're careful, you'll get
> away with it 999,999 times out of a million.  But that doesn't make it
> legal.  It simply makes it relatively unimportant.  It's similar to
> (though MUCH safer than) code that uses "void main()", which also
> tends to work in practice.

If you want to take it upstream to get it changed, I strongly encourage
you to.

> Note that I have not filed any bug reports about this.  The only
> reason I even mentioned it is that Daniel was harrassing some poor
> fellow who happened to mention, in passing, the fact that such
> identifiers are technically forbidden.  Well, Daniel was wrong, and
> the original poster was right, so I quoted chapter and verse to show
> that Daniel was wrong.  It's not a big deal, I was just defending the
> poor guy.

Oh, give it a rest. I wasn't attacking him, I'm just pointing out that
there is one package in the wrong, and it's not X.

> And I have to say, after reading Daniel's irrelevant and incoherent
> response to my post, I have a much greater understanding of why you
> decided to stop working with him! :)

plonk.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>