Re: Processed: 008_fix_xgetpw_macro.diff breaks Xlib API.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:25:49AM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 05:39:11AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:48:08AM -0700, Debian Bug Tracking System wrote:
> > > [stuff]
> >
> > For record, the report concerns the fact that _Xgetpwnam semantics
> > changed in 4.3.0.
>
> Especially annonying is that debian is different than everyone else ...

No, it's not - the patch came from Red Hat.

> > Personally, I don't think any external lib should be using, much less
> > relying on, macros from other libraries whose names start with an
> > underscore: that's generally interpreted to mean 'internal symbol'.
>
> I doubt upstream will agree with you here.  Try to submit the patch --
> I'd expect it will be rejected because it breaks stuff.

Yes, but XFree86 rejected a lot of patches.

The API is public, but the question is whether or not this was
intentional. A leading underscore is universally accepted to denote
'internal', and thus you cannot rely on the behaviour of macros or
functions beginning with an underscore staying the same, IMO.

I'm sorely tempted to wishlist/wontfix this.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org