Re: Processed: 008_fix_xgetpw_macro.diff breaks Xlib API.

reassign 194466 openmotif
retitle 194466 openmotif: uses Xlib private functions
thanks

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 05:39:11AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:48:08AM -0700, Debian Bug Tracking System wrote:
> > [stuff]
>
> For record, the report concerns the fact that _Xgetpwnam semantics
> changed in 4.3.0.
>
> Personally, I don't think any external lib should be using, much less
> relying on, macros from other libraries whose names start with an
> underscore: that's generally interpreted to mean 'internal symbol'.

Yes.

> I'm unsure as to what to do with this bug - Branden?

I'm reassigning it.

Other libraries' internal functions are off-limits.  They're not part of
the "API".  They're not part of an external interface at all.  Don't use
them.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Yesterday upon the stair,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       I met a man who wasn't there.