Re: xserver-xfree86 4.0.2-1 and S3 ViRGE/MX problems

> There's a new version up on my web page (ver 1.6.3).  It's another
> incremental start version which _will_ show a difference in the log.  (I
> promise!)  Would you try it out?  It takes a little longer to start
> fully, ~4 seconds, so allow 30-35 total.

Log files are up, I've included log files for the debug runs as well,
just in case.

With no s3v_debug option, results were the same as before.

With s3v_debug = 1, X started properly, although the mouse pointer and
window drawing seemed a little sluggish. Also, the background image
flickered slightly. Additionally, when I killed the server, my console
(vesafb) was "moved" one character to the left (that is, the first
column of console text appeared on the very right of the screen).
Sometimes, but not every time I ran the server, the mouse pointer image
was left behind after the server exited.

While the screen was messed up, but the machine was still working, I
tried s3v_debug = 2. The server started normally, and all operations
were fast (and the annoying flicker was gone). I rebooted to fix the
console, and tried running it again, but the system hung, same as before.

I suspect the ViRGE chip was still initialised after s3v_debug = 1,
which is why the second run worked before I rebooted. Any other server
version probably would've worked just then, too.

Thanks for your great work on this!

Regards,
Rob.