Re: [Xpert]X4 and S3 ViRGE/MX problems

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Iain Thomas wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > > Dear Kevin and XFree86 developers,
> > > The system runs perfectly fine using the vesa driver (log here ), but when I
> > > try to use the proper s3virge, the computer completely freezes up, not even
> > > responding to kernel magic SysRq keys.
> > Just to say that I've also got this problem; although moving libddc solved
> > it. Moving libvbe (and putting libddc back) seems to work better.
> > I've also posted lots of logs and a problem description to the
> > xpert@xfree86.org list some time ago.
> > I've never tried magic SysRq, however, ssh/telnet via a pcmcia card was
> > down.
> But you have an ViRGE MX+, right Iain?  Drew looks like he's running a
> MX.  I believe it's not the same cause, although it may exhibit failure
> in the same way...

<dismantles part of laptop>
The chip is marked thus:
----
S3 (r) 86C260
       On Board (tm)
       N6A01B

86C260-1B
9747  C29215.00
KOREA
----

With a big M5 sticker on it. The documnetation says M5, and the m5.exe
utility from ftp.clevo.com.tw says m5 (not m5+), so I think it's just an
M5.
If I said before that it's an M5+, my apologies, I appear to have been
wrong.

--
Regards, Iain.Thomas@dial.pipex.co.uk.
My website: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~csuli/